Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chapter 14: Learning is constant






Although Spring Break is supposed to be a break from learning, I learned more than I thought I would over the whole week. Actually I learned enough to hurt my brain a little. And it wasn't just one subject, but a few, even several. Lessons, experiences, whatever. All I have to say is when do I get a break? Never.

Lesson One: A Day in the Life of a Senator
I had the wonderful opportunity of hanging out with my Grandpa for some time. We would wake up around 6AM and go all day until about 10PM or so. That's a long day. I was able to see him participate in an interview, speak to some people, and work. I don't think he really had any down time. And he had no naps! I was getting exhausted because of the lack of sleep. I was on my feet most of the day. Breakfast in the morning, driving through the wonderful morning traffic, work, walking around, lunch, various activities, and then going back through some traffic to get home and go to bed. It's a hard life, and he's an extremely smart guy. He knows how to get things done efficiently. I hope I can be as successful at what I do in life.

Lesson Two: Always Look Your Best
Why? Because you never know who you are going to meet. Being in DC means I had the opportunity to meet other Senators, as well as some country stars. I was thrilled, but embarrassed to be underdressed. We had the chance to go to a concert of the country music association. There were six famous singers, songwriters, and musicians. I was lucky enough to meet them, as well as be in some photos with them. The party was fun, but of course here I am in black skinny jeans and a turquoise top while everyone else was wearing suits and such. At least I looked good and wasn't grungy. Another day I wore a skirt to look nicer, but of course being me I wore converse. Yes, black chucks with a purple skirt. I looked classy I must say. And it wasn't too bad until we had to stop by a restaurant so my Grandpa could say a few words to some people. Well, we go in to this really really nice place with food that I am sure is super expensive and here I am in converse. I was out of place for sure. So always look your best. You never know where you end up or who you might shake hands with.

Lesson Three: Study Hard and Do What You Love
In order to be successful I have to work hard, study all the time, and do well in life. But I also have to enjoy what I do. Every day I have to study. This leads me to the next lesson.

Lesson Four: Read
This doesn't just apply to schoolwork, but reading for pleasure. I started reading "The Kite Runner" and I have really enjoyed it. And it's not required for me to read. Reading helps us learn. We become more education as we read.

Lesson Five: Choices Are Everything
Choices become actions. One particular night I made a choice to do one thing instead of another. I can say that it may have been a mistake, but it became quite the learning experience. Throughout the night I had many choices and it seemed as though I kept making the wrong one. Or at least not the best one. I made mistakes. From my choices I learned what needed to be done, or rather how I needed to move on. It just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Lesson Six: I Don't Like Boston
Now, this one is a little harder. I'm not sure how much I want to expand on this right now. Let's just say that I have some searching to do.

Lesson Seven: We All Change, or Discover More of Ourselves
Life isn't the same as when we were in high school, or middle school. We aren't the pre-schoolers running around anymore. I am 20 years old. It's time I act a little more like it. I have to work harder. I have to deal with stress. And I have to deal with people. Life is only going to get harder, and that's why we go through life in steps. The older we are, the stronger we are, and the more prepared we are for what is to come. I'm not quite prepared for a lot, but I am sure trying.

Lesson Eight: Be Prepared and Don't Expect Too Much
I prepared myself in a situation somewhat, but I expected too much. In other words, I was preparing for the wrong thing. Remember that. Prepare for everything. Because preparing for one side, won't prepare you for the other. Play offensively AND defensively.

I think that's all for now. A week of pure learning. Follow what your heart tells you to do. You may miss some experiences if you don't. And remember to do what you want, not what others expect.


No comments:

Post a Comment